Congratulations to Carrie Vaughn, whose wonderful story “Amaryllis” took out the tough competition at the 2011 WSFA Small Press Awards in Washington overnight. Although RJ Astruc’s story “Enid and the Prince”, from Worlds Next Door, did not get the gong, it was fantastic to see it shortlisted beside such amazing works. Well done RJ!
Posts tagged ‘RJ Astruc’
I was blown away to wake up to the news this morning that RJ Astruc’s story in Worlds Next Door has been shortlisted for the WSFA Small Press Award. This is an INTERNATIONAL award for stories published by small presses, showcasing the sterling quality these small presses do. I also love the way these awards work, because the stories are read blind (no names attached) by a team of readers, who then create a shortlist. The shortlist is then voted on (again, blind) by the members of the Washington Science Fiction Association to decide the winner. So very delighted to have a story on this list!
The complete list of finalists:
- “After the Dragon”, by Sarah Monette, published in the January 2010 issue of Fantasy Magazine, edited by Cat Rambo & Sean Wallace
- “Amaryllis”, by Carrie Vaughn, published in the June 2010 issue of Lightspeed Magazine, edited by John Joseph Adams
- “The Cassandra Project”, by Jack McDevitt, published in the June 2010 issue of Lightspeed Magazine, edited by John Joseph Adams
- “The Days of Flaming Motorcycles”, by Catherynne M. Valente, published in Dark Faith anthology, edited by Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon, Apex Book Co. (May 2010)
- “Enid and the Prince”, by RJ Astruc, published in Worlds Next Door, edited by Tehani Wessely, FableCroft Publishing (June 2010)
- “Lord Bai’s Discovery” by Jean Marie Ward, published in Dragon’s Lure, edited by Danielle Ackley-McPhail, Jennifer Ross, and Jeffrey Lyman, Dark Quest Books (June 2010)
The competition “Enid and the Prince” is up against is top notch and I’m so proud to have published a story strong enough to compete at this level! Well done RJ!
These stories are provided freely for educational purposes only. They are intended for use in conjunction with the book they were published in, Worlds Next Door (FableCroft Publishing). Please respect the rights and livelihoods of the author, artist and publisher in your use of work from this website, and please consider purchasing a copy of the book (available in print, epub and pdf – electronic versions not quite in the shop yet, so please email fablecroft at gmail dot com if you are interested – site licensing for schools is also negotiable).
A Wizard in Trouble by Paul Collins
Enid and the Prince by RJ Astruc
Genevieve and the Dragon by Angela Slatter
Ghost Town by Pamela Freeman
Slugs and Snails by Jenny Blackford
Tabitha by Rowena Cory Daniells
The Best Dog in the World by Dirk Flinthart
The Trouble with Fifi by Launz Burch
Through the Break by Jen Banyard