I was blown away to wake up to the news this morning that RJ Astruc’s story in Worlds Next Door has been shortlisted for the WSFA Small Press Award. This is an INTERNATIONAL award for stories published by small presses, showcasing the sterling quality these small presses do. I also love the way these awards work, because the stories are read blind (no names attached) by a team of readers, who then create a shortlist. The shortlist is then voted on (again, blind) by the members of the Washington Science Fiction Association to decide the winner. So very delighted to have a story on this list!
The complete list of finalists:
- “After the Dragon”, by Sarah Monette, published in the January 2010 issue of Fantasy Magazine, edited by Cat Rambo & Sean Wallace
- “Amaryllis”, by Carrie Vaughn, published in the June 2010 issue of Lightspeed Magazine, edited by John Joseph Adams
- “The Cassandra Project”, by Jack McDevitt, published in the June 2010 issue of Lightspeed Magazine, edited by John Joseph Adams
- “The Days of Flaming Motorcycles”, by Catherynne M. Valente, published in Dark Faith anthology, edited by Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon, Apex Book Co. (May 2010)
- “Enid and the Prince”, by RJ Astruc, published in Worlds Next Door, edited by Tehani Wessely, FableCroft Publishing (June 2010)
- “Lord Bai’s Discovery” by Jean Marie Ward, published in Dragon’s Lure, edited by Danielle Ackley-McPhail, Jennifer Ross, and Jeffrey Lyman, Dark Quest Books (June 2010)
The competition “Enid and the Prince” is up against is top notch and I’m so proud to have published a story strong enough to compete at this level! Well done RJ!