Worlds Next Door is an Australian anthology of speculative fiction stories for 9-13 year olds. Published by FableCroft Publishing and edited by Tehani Wessely, Worlds Next Door contains stories by 25 Australian authors, each illustrated by Australian artists. Many of the authors in the pages are award-winning and well-known writers of children’s fiction, and the anthology is compiled to be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.
“The Best Dog in the World”, Dirk Flinthart
“A Wizard in Trouble”, Paul Collins
“Graffiti”, Joanne Anderton
“Enid and the Prince”, RJ Astruc
“Disobedience”, Dave Luckett
“The Guardians”, Geoffrey Hugh Miller
“Horror Movie”, Michael Pryor
“The House on Juniper Road”, Felicity Dowker
“Rocket and Sparky”, Edwina Harvey
“Inksucker”, Aidan Doyle
“Mega Wombats and Demon Ducks”, Sue Bursztynski
“Philomena Plaitbinder”, Angela Rega
“Moonchild”, Bren MacDibble
“The New Rat in Town”, Kaaron Warren
“Through the Break”, Jen Banyard
“Nine Times”, Kaia Landelius and Tansy Rayner Roberts
“Sir Pesky Poos-a-lot and the Pony” Thoraiya Dyer
“Old Saint Nick”, Leith Daniel
“Slugs and Snails”, Jenny Blackford
“The Trouble with Fifi”, Launz Burch
“Tabitha”, Rowena Cory Daniells
“Genevieve and the Dragon”, Angela Slatter
“The Nullarbor Wave”, Matthew Chrulew
“Ghost Town”, Pamela Freeman
“Little Arkham”, Martin Livings
To purchase copies of the book, please visit the FableCroft website – discounts of up to 20% are available for purchases of five or more copies (five copies = 5% discount, 10 copies = 10% discount, 15 copies = 15% discount, 20 or more copies = 20% discount). All e-book formats also available from Smashwords, or email the publisher for site licence options.
This website is designed to support the use of stories from Worlds Next Door in primary and early secondary classrooms. We invite and welcome submissions by anyone who has used these stories in an educational context, in the spirit of collaboration. Please email lesson plans to email@example.com
We will be adding content to this website as time goes on, which will include podcasts of the stories and other supplementary material. All stories from Worlds Next Door are copyright to their respective authors and may not be reproduced.
However, supporting teaching material is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Australia which means:
You are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
With the understanding that:
- Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
- Other Rights— In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
- Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.
Please respect the rights of the creators of all material.
For more information, email fablecroft at gmail dot com